Merseylink is committed to protecting the privacy of individuals. The protection of personal information in Tasmania’s private sector is required by the Personal Information Protection Act 2004. Merseylink is bound to comply with these laws. All Merseylink employees are required to comply with these privacy laws, including all Merseylink policies and procedures regarding the protection of personal information.
What is personal information?
Personal information includes the information or opinions of a person whose identity is known to Merseylink.
The privacy of personal information is paramount at Merseylink. Any personal information collected by Merseylink will not be disclosed to any third-party agency without explicit permission or in accordance with privacy laws. An Individual’s personal information collected will only be used for the purposes stated below.
What information does Merseylink collect?
Merseylink may collect personal information about a person, including their name, address, telephone number, and email address. Merseylink may also collect information about a person’s use of Merseylink services and other information or opinions regarding dealing with Merseylink.
How does Merseylink collect personal information?
Merseylink collects information lawfully from the individual. This is done in a variety of ways, including:
- Directly from the person (i.e. when information is provided via the Merseylink website, or on an application form when speaking to a Merseylink representative.
- From records of dealings with Merseylink (including through the use of Merseylink’s website). If providing Merseylink with personal information of another person, you must inform that person and obtain their consent for the disclosure of this information.
Why does Merseylink collect personal information and how is it used?
Merseylink only collects personal information where it is reasonably necessary for its functions or activities and is collected by lawful means. Merseylink will not collect more information than is necessary or relevant, and will not collect sensitive information (as defined in the above-stated privacy laws), such as ethnicity information, political opinions or religious associations, criminal records or health information unless the content has been given.
Merseylink may collect and use personal information to:
- Undertake and operate transport services
- Provide specific services to individuals
- Provide feedback to customers
- Conduct market research to evaluate and improve services, communications, and marketing
- Review and consider any application or information sent to Merseylink
- Carry out administrative functions, such as risk management, credit management, billing, and record-keeping
- Investigate and respond to safety, security or unlawful incidents on buses
- Test, develop and maintain Merseylink systems and services
- Access any job application sent to Merseylink
- Carry out credit and payment-related activities
If all or part of the information sought by Merseylink is not provided, Merseylink may not be able to complete one or more of the specific tasks identified in the above list.
Merseylink will only disclose personal information to a third party if it is relevant for the disclosure.
Using and disclosing personal information for marketing purposes
Provided consent has been obtained, Merseylink may use personal information to promote and market services to you. This may include sending individual information via mail, email, SMS, or telephone. Merseylink will not use or disclose personal information for direct marketing if you have ‘opted-out’ of receiving such information. Merseylink also will not on-sell a person’s information to a third-party.
Retention and disposal of information
Any emails sent to Merseylink or information submitted through the Merseylink website may be scanned for IT security purposes.
Merseylink website data
The Merseylink website server logs a record of all website visits and records the following information for statistical and administrative purposes:
- The user’s server address – to consider the users who use the site regularly and tailor the site to their interests and requirements
- The date and time of the site visit – to identify busy times and to ensure site maintenance is conducted outside these periods
- Pages access and documents downloaded
- Duration of visit
- The type of browser used – smartphone, PC
Security of information
Users should be aware that the internet is not a secure environment and information sent via the internet (including via email) may be intercepted by a third party. Merseylink has established reasonable security measures to protect all personal information collected from misuse, interference, loss, unauthorised access, modification, or disclosure in contravention of this policy.
All Merseylink employees, contractors, agents, and service providers who provide services related to Merseylink information systems, are obliged to respect the confidentiality of any personal information held by Merseylink. Merseylink reviews and update our security measures in light of current technologies.
Credit Card Data
If you make any purchases from Merseylink, you may provide credit card details and other information that will allow Merseylink to process the transaction. Please note that Merseylink does not store credit card information.
Questions and complaints
Merseylink is committed to providing its customers with a fair and responsible system for the handling and resolution of privacy-related complaints.
Any questions about this policy or if privacy has been breached, please contact Merseylink in writing using the contact details below. Merseylink will respond directly with this complaint and will also advise what (if any) action will be taken in response.
For more information about how Merseylink handles personal information or any privacy issues, please contact Merseylink using the methods below.
Phone: 6427 7626
Post: PO Box 63 East Devonport, Tas 7310